The Community Grants Program provides financial program support to area nonprofit organizations that address unmet housing needs in Mecklenburg and Iredell counties. Launched in 2009, the program awards funds annually to area nonprofits. Applications are rated according to community impact, project feasibility, fiscal strength and Realtor® support. Funding totals may vary depending on availability of funds.
The Community Grants Program has awarded a total of $225,499.70 in grants its ten-year history.
Eligible organizations must submit an application with a brief narrative and supporting documentation. All applications must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from an active Realtor® member of the Charlotte Regional Realtor® Association. Please note Habitat for Humanity organizations are not eligible for funding through this program (see Habitat Support Program for information on Habitat funding).
The 2018 deadline for applications was July 15, 2018. Grant awards were distributed Sept. 5, 2018.
2018 Community Grants Program recipients
The following organizations were awarded Community Grants; all grant applications had to be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a Realtor® involved with the organization.
Grant amounts totaled $42,499.70 for the 2018 fiscal year.
- $3,000 to fund the ACP Emergency Fund Reserve to allow the community-based social worker to support homeless children and families in crisis situations.
- Realtor® referral: Marcy Basrawala, Dickens Mitchener
- $3,000 to provide direct housing assistance to families who have progressed within the Investment Pathway program.
- Realtor® referral: Arlene Arciero, Southern Homes for the Carolinas, Inc.
- $2,300 to purchase 32 dressers for the organization’s client children and their families; this furniture will create a more stable and sustainable environment as they transition into permanent housing.
- Realtor® referrals: Cullen McNulty, McNulty Realty and Jen Wetzel, Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Paracle
- $3,000 to provide stable, sober and supportive housing for six women, who otherwise would be homeless, upon their return to society following incarceration.
- Realtor® referrals: Jonathan Roberts, Jonathan Roberts Realty and Marlyn Jamison, Allen Tate
- $3,000 for move-in expenses for four families experiencing homelessness for when they transition from temporary shelter.
- Realtor® referral: Dan Cottingham, Cottingham Chalk
- $3,000 to support the cost of mentor training and mentee student activities for two months as students engage in skills that help them create and sustain a path to success during their college tenure, therefore assisting in breaking the cycle of generational public housing.
- Realtor® referral: Roger Parham, Allen Tate Company
- $3,000 to provide seven Home4Me College kits and 11 Bed-in-a-Bag kits to teens aging out of foster care.
- Realtor® referral: Antonio Worsham, Equity North Carolina Real Estate
- $3,000 to support Operation Hope, a home renovation project intended to ensure that the safe houses for human trafficking victims remain open and habitable for trafficking survivors and their children.
- Realtor® Referral: Tori Robinson, Keller Williams Realty
- $3,000 to make structural repairs of long-deferred maintenance on a recently acquired property that will be used for long-term, low-income housing.
- Realtor® referral: David Kennedy, T.R. Lawing Realty, Inc.
- $2,999.70 for the purchase of 1,818 single-ride bus fares for residents of the Clyde & Ethel Dickson Domestic Violence Shelter so that survivors can regain independence and transition from the shelter to safe and affordable housing.
- Realtor® referral: Lynn Johnson, Savvy & Co. Real Estate
- $3,000 to provide a storage unit for furniture and appliances for prospective residents along with building supplies and tools to maintain decent housing for all SHC residents.
- Realtor® referral: Robert Dulin, Keller Williams Realty
- $3,000 to purchase mattresses and bedframes for homeless young adults who are exiting homelessness and seeking housing through The Relatives’ housing program.
- Realtor® referral: Carolyn Taylor, Premier Sotheby’s International Realty
- $3,000 to provide support for the Host Home Program and Emergency Financial Assistance Program, which will help provide transitional housing for 10 homeless LGBTQ youth.
- Realtor® referral: Frances Dawson, RE/MAX Executive
- $2,400 to provide resources to prepare and distribute lunches for 200 homeless individuals in Charlotte for 12 months.
- Realtor® referral: Renata Henderson Murray, Wilkinson ERA Real Estate
The Community Grants Program is a Housing Opportunity Foundation initiative.