The Community Grants Program provides financial program support to area nonprofit organizations that address unmet housing needs in Mecklenburg and Iredell counties. Launched in 2009, the program awards funds annually to area nonprofits. Applications are rated according to community impact, project feasibility, fiscal strength and Realtor® support. Funding totals may vary depending on availability of funds.
The Community Grants Program has awarded 79 non-profit organizations a total of $183,000 in its nine-year history.
Eligible organizations must submit an application with a brief narrative and supporting documentation. All applications must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from an active Realtor® member of the Charlotte Regional Realtor® Association. Please note Habitat for Humanity organizations are not eligible for funding through this program (see Habitat Support Program for information on Habitat funding).
2017 Community Grants Program recipients
The following organizations were awarded Community Grants; all grant applications had to be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a Realtor® involved with the organization.
Grant amounts totaled $41,500 for the 2017 fiscal year.
- $2,500 to purchase 250 blankets for homeless families and children.
- Realtor® Referrals: Cullen McNulty, McNulty Realty; Ben Bowen, Ben Bowen Properties; and Caleb Troop, Dane Warren Real Estate
- $530 to purchase two therapeutic contour mattresses to improve the comfort and healthcare of their patients during their end-of-life care.
- Realtor® Referral: Laura Marx, Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Carolinas Realty
- $2,500 to provide rental assistance for women who are newly released from incarceration to aid in their transition back into society.
- Realtor® Referral: Jane Kusterer, Allen Tate Company
- $3,000 to provide half the cost for one homeless participant to attend a 14-week culinary arts, life skills and job placement training program.
- Realtor® Referral: Missy Banks, Allen Tate Company
- $2,700 to provide funding for the annual Get On The Bus Tour where consumers visit prospective homes as well as attend a home-buying seminar.
- Realtor® Referral: Antonio Worsham, Equity North Carolina Real Estate
- $3,000 to provide resources to care for 12 homeless families for a period of one month each as they work toward stabilization.
- Realtor® Referral: Dan Cottingham, Cottingham Chalk Hayes, Realtors®
- $3,000 to provide support for a mentoring program to encourage first-generation students living in public/subsidized housing to graduate to break the cycle of poverty.
- Realtor® Referral: Roger Parham, Allen Tate Company
- $2,200 to provide for heat-reflecting tint at the Dove’s Nest women’s facility, which will aid in cooling the building and reducing energy costs.
- Realtor® Referrals: Kim Overman, Allen Tate Company
- $2,500 to purchase unassembled bedframes with storage kits to meet the needs of families in financial crisis.
- Realtor® Referral: Joe Naccarato, Allen Tate Company
- $3,000 to assist 12 families transitioning out of the homes program (mostly women and children) with utilities deposits and necessities for the home/apartment.
- Realtor® Referral: Joan Inglis, CD Realty
- $2,970 to provide bus passes for homeless men in the shelter to have transportation to jobs and job interviews.
- Realtor® referral: Penny Teeter, Shearer Realty
- $3,000 to provide 10 residents with assistance toward deposits and application fees for permanent, safe and affordable housing.
- Realtor® Referral: Anthony Lindsey, GLOBECROSSING, LLC
- $2,700 to support the renovation of one apartment unit in Enderly Park, which will be used to house a low-income resident at an affordable rent.
- Realtor® referral: David Kennedy, T.R. Lawing Realty, Inc.
- $2,500 to provide single-ride bus fares for residents of the domestic violence shelter to aid in their transition to safe, affordable housing.
- Realtor® referral: Lynn Johnson, Savvy & Co. Real Estate
- $3,000 to purchase mattresses and bedframes for homeless young adults who are exiting homelessness and seeking housing through The Relatives’ housing program.
- Realtor® referral: Carolyn Taylor, Premier Sotheby’s International Realty
- $2,400 to provide resources to prepare and distribute lunches for 200 homeless individuals in Charlotte for 12 months.
- Realtor® referral: Renata Henderson Murray, Wilkinson ERA Real Estate
The Community Grants Program is a Housing Opportunity Foundation initiative.