The Community Grants Program was launched in 2009 and awards funds annually to area nonprofit organizations that address unmet housing needs in Mecklenburg, Iredell and Haywood counties.
Applications are rated according to community impact, project feasibility, fiscal strength and Realtor® support. Funding totals may vary depending on availability of funds.
The Community Grants Program has awarded a total of $267,499.70 in its ten-year history.
Eligible organizations must submit an application with a brief narrative and supporting documentation. All applications must be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from an active Realtor® member of the Canopy Realtor® Association.
Please note Habitat for Humanity organizations are not eligible for funding through this program (see Habitat Support Program for information on Habitat funding).
2019 grant awards were distributed at our Sept. 4, 2019 Grants Luncheon. Applications for 2020 will be available in summer 2020.
2019 Community Grants Program recipients
The following organizations were awarded Community Grants; all grant applications had to be accompanied by a letter of recommendation from a Realtor® involved with the organization.
Grant amounts totaled $42,000 for the 2019 fiscal year.
- $3,000 to support approximately five client-partners and their families with rental assistance from the Investment Fund.
- Realtor® referral: Arlene Arciero, Southern Homes for the Carolinas, Inc.
- $1,500 to provide rental assistance for three extremely low-income students who are pursuing an apprenticeship certification in order to gain full-time employment and stability
- Realtor® referral: John Stroup, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
- $2,500 to provide six one-month residencies in a stable re-entry home to allow women the space to build new lives beyond prison walls.
- Realtor® referral: Caroline Grossman, Allen Tate
- $3,000 to assist in the expenses for four families currently experiencing homelessness as they transition from one of the temporary shelters to permanent housing.
- Realtor® referral: Dan Cottingham, Cottingham Chalk
- $3,000 to purchase basic household appliances and to cover range hood installation in a new transitional housing unit.
- Realtor® referral: Michael Orlando, TSG Residential Real Estate
- $3,000 to purchase a storage building for donated furniture for homeless individuals and families when moving into permanent housing.
- Realtor® referral: Mary Palmes, Allen Tate
- $3,000 to provide financial assistance for families in the program who are currently homeless or facing housing instability.
- Realtor® referral: Caroline Cox, Cottingham Chalk
- $3,000 to provide rental assistance for six teen moms and their families as they transition to a life of independence.
- Realtor® referral: Gitanjali Mathur, Allen Tate
- $2,000 to purchase household cookware, silverware and bedroom linens for ten beds as well as bath towels, wash cloths and hand towels for the use by the families in residence who are currently experiencing homelessness.
- Realtor® referral: Jennifer Updegraft, Allen Tate
- $3,000 to provide the final portion of funds needed to replace the septic system at two of their houses for at-risk families.
- Realtor® Referral: Tori Robinson, Keller Williams Realty
- $3,000 to provide housing/rental assistance for six families experiencing a financial crisis.
- Realtor® referral: Brooke Bryant, Bryant Realty Homes, LLC
- $3,000 to provide rental assistance to three disadvantaged, low-income upperclassmen (junior/senior year) who are living in off-campus housing to help eliminate their burden of housing instability while they seek an education.
- Realtor® referral: Moneen Allen, Black House Realty SP
- $3,000 to cover the move-in expenses for three individuals (or families) making the transition out of homelessness into housing as part of the Running Works Housing Program.
- Realtor® referral: Sherry George, Dickens Mitchener
- $3,000 to provide 1,818 single-ride bus fares for residents of the Clyde & Ethel Dickinson Domestic Violence Shelter so that residents can regain independence and transition from the shelter to safe, affordable housing.
- Realtor® referral: Lynn Johnson, Savvy & Co. Real Estate
- $1,500 to obtain copies of records for 125 mothers and fathers in their emergency shelter so they can secure housing at the cost of $25 per head of household.
- Realtor® referral: Catherine Browning, First Charlotte Properties
- $1,500 to purchase basic essential items for the women and their families who are currently experiencing homelessness for when they enter the Families Together program.
- Realtor® referral: Julie Wall-Burris, Lilac Realty
The Community Grants Program is a Canopy Housing Foundation initiative.